<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Internal Server Error

what the voices in my head tell me to write

Monday, November 25, 2013

Stoic Week starting thoughts 

I have been interested in Stoicism for about 2 years since reading a review of "A guide to the good life" on boingboing. I had first come across Stoicism 20 plus years before then at uni as part of my environmental science degree. To be honest I remember Stoicism was mentioned in one environmental philosophy lecture but I tended to be very hung over in those lectures as they fell at 9am after a big student night in one of the clubs in the town.

I always had philosophy in general in the back of my head. Every now and then I would read a "pop philosophy" book of one sort or another. A few years ago I worked with a couple of people who were active members of a philosophy society in Bath (one of whom is now a philosophy lecturer) which got me reading and thinking a bit more than before.

Stoicism had an immediate appeal. It just seemed to make sense. The whole concept of virtue, indifferents etc. seemed to make a lot of sense straight away. I got a copy of the Meditations and devoured it (leant it to someone who didnt give it back...) Since then I have read Seneca, Epicetus and a few other secondary sources such as Sneddons course.

All this reading has deepened my thinking and understanding. I am not actually one for memorising quotes and precepts but I try to think how a Stoic sage would approach a given situation and behave accordingly. I have broadened my reading to Montaigne, Singer and other ethics secondary sources.

Last year I finally decided to see a therapist about my depression. I have suffered from this since my late teens off and on and I am currently on Prozac/fluoxitine and have been for a couple of years currently and have taken it in the past. I had a couple of sessions with the therapist and as I mentioned that I was actively studying stoicism, keeping a journal etc. she said that as she would advise CBT for me I might as well carry on with my Stoic practice and not worry about therapy or CBT. I find that stoic practices help a great deal with my depression. Mindfulness and the morning and evening meditations work well at focussing my mind. The whole only worry about things you can change is a big help... I don't obsess over things beyond my control any more.

Well thats a start.

Permanent link and Comments posted by Rob Cornelius @ Monday, November 25, 2013

Comments: Post a Comment


    follow me on Twitter

    My recent photos

    Archives

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

    RSS feeds and things

    Feed Button Help

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    contact the author

    rob cornelius can be contacted by email use his name with an dot and googles web based email domain