<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Internal Server Error

what the voices in my head tell me to write

Friday, May 06, 2005

have you noticed how some repair people are psycic 

Another of my pcs died last night.

My brother was able to diagnose the problem (duff hard drive again) by just listening to the drive and observbing the light flashing on the case it seems. Admittedly its his job to do such things but its still amazing.

I have seen it before with car mechanics and the like. They become so finely attuned to the stuff they work on and know all the potential problems that they seem to be able to pull together the tiniest clues as to whats wrong with something to diagnose a fault and fix it. I was talking to one mechanic once who claimed that the smell of the exhaust from the engine could tell you a lot.

I once saw a programme about steel making where the guy in charge of the big machine could tell the exact ratio of the elements in the steel by the colour of the flames it was giving off as it was being poured out of the big hot pot thing. He was as acurrate as any chemical analysis done in the companies lab.

This is not something you learn. Its experience.

Permanent link and Comments posted by Rob Cornelius @ Friday, May 06, 2005

Comments: Post a Comment


    follow me on Twitter

    My recent photos

    Archives

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

    RSS feeds and things

    Feed Button Help

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    contact the author

    rob cornelius can be contacted by email use his name with an dot and googles web based email domain