Internal Server Error
what the voices in my head tell me to write
Friday, March 04, 2005
Sometimes Gecko is too helpful
I just spent ages trying to work out why some material I was working on was working fine in Firefox and not in IE. I suspected the CSS for most of the time as I was using floats and IE as we all know is not too hot with these.
It turned out I had not closed a div tag properly eg. <div class="foo <p> Gecko was fixing the error for me and rendering the page as it should have been displayed. IE was creating a mess. Which was correct of course. I spent ages looking at the CSS and tried three methods of laying out the page.
Finally I suspected the html and downloaded and installed the excellent HTMLTidy firefox extension which instantly flagged up the error and it was a moments work to slap my forehead, fix it and shout D'oh!
It would be nice if there was a developer mode for Gecko which turned off the automagic code fixing and in an ideal world flagged up what was wrong in blinking red text ;)
Permanent link and Comments posted by Rob Cornelius @ Friday, March 04, 2005
:) :) :)
Links to this post: links to this post