<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Internal Server Error

what the voices in my head tell me to write

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Not sure if this is a big idea or not

I was looking at some php patterns and general web design patterns in general and was thinking about design patterns in HTML/CSS. It seems to me that I face a series of common problems when laying out pages. These range from the simple basics such as colouring an area of the screen to acheiving a complex layout through the combination of several layout techniques each of which is a "pattern" in itself.

Recently I spent some time working in pure HTML trying to get a perfect "header, 3 columns and a footer" layout working properly. I spent far to long trying to reinvent the wheel devloping a new method to layout the pages. Eventually I had something that would work perfectly in IE due to the rubbish way it handles floated content.

Of course the pefect implementation of this problem is at the float tutorial. If I had recognised the problem quicker I could have turned 2 days work into a morning and done some very high quality work without having to show my boss something pants.

I am going to have to think long and hard about this and look around to see if anyone else is thinking along the same lines

Permanent link and Comments posted by Rob Cornelius @ Saturday, January 22, 2005

Comments: Post a Comment


    follow me on Twitter

    My recent photos

    Archives

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

    RSS feeds and things

    Feed Button Help

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    contact the author

    rob cornelius can be contacted by email use his name with an dot and googles web based email domain