<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Internal Server Error

what the voices in my head tell me to write

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Just tried a new distro - and I like it

Installed Suse 9.1 pro on my linux test-bed machine last night.

First impressionas are excellent. It detected my Matrox G400 card and multiple monitors straight away and ever configured them correctly. This has always been a source of great frustration in the past with other distros. Debian wont get about 640 x 480 resolution on it at all without some major fiddling.

I know its the pro package as well but the range of applications and servers was amazing. Firefox 0.8 and the latest Thunderbird, Java, Tomcat, Perl-Mason, PHP extensions galore, all of KDE 3.3.2 and OOo 1.1.1 plus loads of other stuff I have never even heard of.

KDE is very pretty as well. My next computer purchase will be a Mac purely for the prettyness of OSX but KDE is comeing a close second.

YaST2 is really, really excellent as well. The range of stuff it configures with a pretty interface is amazing. I dont think I will even need Webmin!

Time to put it on the main box I think.

Permanent link and Comments posted by Rob Cornelius @ Thursday, June 03, 2004

Comments: Post a Comment


    follow me on Twitter

    My recent photos

    Archives

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

    RSS feeds and things

    Feed Button Help

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    contact the author

    rob cornelius can be contacted by email use his name with an dot and googles web based email domain